Saturday, December 28, 2013

Recovering an Ottoman

I started with this not so fab dirty ottoman. First step is always remove the existing cover. I was careful again not to rip it too badly as it was going to become my pattern for the new ottoman. The corners were sewn to make this a clean rectangle shape. Using the seam ripper I removed the corner seems so I could lay the fabric flat. Once the orange fabric was removed I pinned it to my new fabric and cut. Next step is to sew the corners together to give shape to the fabric. Slip the rectangle over the stuffing and staple to the bottom.

The legs had a neat shape and I wanted to keep that look. Using fabric sheers I cleaned up the corners to match the shape of the legs. I made sure not to cut too close so there was a little bit of overhang. Using my hot glue gun I glued the fabric into the wooden grooves.

 I cut 4 strips of cord to fill in the grooves. Using a hot glue gun I started by glueing the cord under the ottoman (see previous picture of the underside). Using the notch or groove in the leg as a I guide, I followed the top edge of the leg with glue and pressed the cord into place. Not only did this add a nice accent but it hid the fabric I had previously glued. The end of the cord was then glued underneath the opposite side of the leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment