Friday, December 27, 2013

Furniture - The beginning

Growing up with a dad that was a carpenter I always dreamed of making my own furniture. Since I live in an apartment that just wasn't practical and this phase of life. So my dad encourage me to get into rehabbing. 

Project one: wicker chair. 
It was chippy and white. After a trip to Home Depot for couple cans of spray paint, plastic tarps and painters tape I was ready to go. I turned my apartment patio into a giant dome covering the sliding door, floor and banister. 

Next I sprayed in even swipes and let coats dry for about 20 minutes in between.

My grandma sent me a cushion for the chair that just wasn't my style. I measured the length of the cushion added 5 inches for shrinking and seams and ran to the fabric store. Next I folded the fabric in half and laid my cushion on top with the outside facing edge on the fold. I outlined the cushion into the fabric. 

Next I added 5/8 of an inch to my outline and cut. Once I had my pattern I put the right sides together and sewed 5/8 from the edge leaving a wide enough gap to stuff the pillow inside. Make sure the gap is along the back edge that will face the wicker. In order to sew it up I pushed the  pillow away from the opening and pinned the seam together as if it was sewed. Than I used my machine to sew it closed. Sew close to the edge so it's a small seam sticking out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment