Saturday, December 28, 2013

Painting a Bike


I inherited my moms old GT avalanche but I felt like a fuddy diddy ridding next to my husband. So we decided to give it quite the face lift! And in the end I sold it to buy a new road bike! Best $15 I ever spent!
First we removed all the wiring and hardware. Including the forks and tires. My job from there was to sand. I had to get the clear coat off then smooth out the marble finish. I didn't bother removing all the paint down to the metal just enough that new coat would look smooth and not chip off. 
While I was at work my husband put a broom stick where the forks used to be. He then stacked tubs to balance the broomstick.

We bought primer, green and glossy spray paint. 

First he primed the body, forks and handle bars. It took 2-3 coats and an hour to dry in between. Next was the green. He only did green on the body and handle bars. This also took 2-3 coats. After everything was the right color he sprayed 2-3 layers of the gloss coat. Make sure to do thin layers with even strokes. 

I rode the bike for several months got numerous compliments and didn't have problems with chipping.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment