Saturday, December 28, 2013

Painting a Door to Find a Husband

After college I moved to Colorado and got my very own apartment. My first endeavor was to decorate. Every time I was on Pinterest I came across the cutest painted doors. So of course I had to have one. I got lucky and found one for $5 dollars at a garage sale but my car was too small to bring it home. Luckily I met a guy at church on Sunday with a truck. After some persuasion he offered to help me pick it up the next day. And 3 months latter we were married :) And now it's a year and a half latter and I couldn't be more grateful for my pink door. 

Equipment:
Door 
Small sponge roller
Paint tray
Sandpaper
Door knob
Paint

Steps: 
1. Sand out any dents, sand away paint chips or peeling paint. 
 I forgot to pick up sandpaper so I ended up sanding with a nail file... I recommend Sand paper but a few of them did the trick.

2. Lay down plastic or sheets to protect your floor. 

3. Paint the entire surface with a mini sponge foam roller. It took 2-3 coats and I waited about 20 minutes in between coats. 
I was on the hunt for the right door knob for months before my sister in-law gave me a neat antique one from remodeling her home. I think it's just perfect.

Now the door sits in the corner of my living room with a welcome sign that changes every month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment